Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Genealogy and cards....What a combination!

I had been thinking about doing this card for quite some time.
I just kept seeing all of these incredible cards, tags and altered art items using vintage photos and thought, "How cool would it be if I only had some images like that?"  Duh.  I'm an amateur genealogist....I have loads of those images!  So then when I saw a challenge for anything with wings I knew it was time.

I started with a photo of my Mother-in-law, Carol,
when she was about 10.  (Can absolutely hear her Mother telling her to stand up straight for the photo!)

Here are the steps I used to make this card:

  •  I printed the photo with my home laser jet printer onto light weight white card stock.
  • Next, I did a faux water color treatment of her collar, buttons, hat and socks using Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet distress ink before fussy cutting it.
  • For the base I used a dark coral toned card stock from my stash.  And all of the mats are dark gray Bazzill.  I think it's Blackbird but I'm not positive. 
  • Using Papertrey Ink Stampers Select White card stock, I stamped second generation stamps from the Harvest Berries and Guidelines stamp sets for the main patterned paper.    The greeting is also PTI.  It's from the Birds of a Feather set.  Yes, I have started to develop a serious love of all things Papertrey Ink!  The background paper was stamped with Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet and the sentiment was done with an unknown black stamp pad.  (It's kinda old so the color ends up being more of a dark gray and matches the mats better than any other black ink I currently have.)
  • I used a little scrap of DCWV paper for the horizontal piece of  patterned paper.
  • Inking around the edges of all lighter colored papers was done with more of the same distress ink.
  • To get the sentiment layer, I cut the main piece with an EK Success punch and layered in on Bazzill dark gray card stock. For the corners of the sentiment mat, I just used a good, old fashioned paper punch and notched out the corners to match the contour of the EK Success punch.
  • The wings were cut using my Cricut and the Art Nouveau cartridge at 3 1/2 inches.  They are the butterfly wings trimmed way from the body of the butterfly.  After I layered the base cut and the Layer 1 cut, I filled the spots in with Glossy Accents.
  • I added 3 tiny coral brads to the sentiment block and a bow of seam binding I had colored with none other than Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet.Hope you enjoy the card!

It was really a lot of fun to do.  And that's a good thing because my hubby has 3 sisters and now I need to make 2 more of the same card.  I'd never hear the end of it if I sent a card like this to just one of them.  I'd love to send one of this card to each of them. 

These are the challenges I'll be participating in with this card:

Please click here to post your comments about this post.

My First Card Challenge

To kick off my fun doing card challenges, I've decided to enter a card that I made for my dear sister-in-law, Renee.  

The card was made using Papertrey Ink card stock (yum! love that stuff), Tim Holtz stamps and distress inks, Inkadinkadoo stamp, Colorbox ink, eyelets and black ribbon from my stash.  

I'll be entering this card in the following challenges:

Please leave comments by clicking here.
I would love to learn from your suggestions!

Monday, July 29, 2013

Reason for this blog

Okay.  I've taken the leap into the blogosphere.  Where this may take me is a complete mystery.

YouTube is sure to be my best friend for the next couple of days while I figure this whole thing out.  If anyone who happens by this knows of any great tutorials, PLEASE post a link to the video.

The primary reason for my new blog is to post photos and links for various card challenges.  I've just begun making cards and party decorations so I have a lot to learn.  So please keep your comments to gentle, constructive criticism.

I'll be posting an actual item along with pictures soon.  Thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...