Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I made my own Washi Tape!

One of my Dreamtime Designs Craft teammates (read: little sister) recently showed a great storage rack she made for her washi tapes.  Emmey is super enthusiastic about everything so she got me to thinking about using washi tape.  Something I don't think I've ever done even though I have 2 rolls.  They're Tim Holtz that I found on the clearance aisle at Michaels because the package had been opened.  Score!

Both rolls are nice patterns but just not right for the card I wanted to make today.  What to do? What to do?  YouTube it, of course!  I found a video on the Craft Test Dummies channel that showed how to make your own.  That's just what I did.
You can see the easy how-to further down in this post.

Since I really need to get some more cards done for my shipment to Operation Write Home for this month, that's what I worked on today.  Sketch #162 was my inspiration although I did alter it a bit.  You can find all of their sketches here.  It's a great place to visit whenever you feel like you're lacking some creative mojo.

Before I show my entire card, I have to show the Lacy Sunshine image I used.  Her name is Jillian and I am over the moon in love with this little beauty!
Put that image on the front of a card and you don't even need a sentiment.  Jillian does the speaking for you.  Or, you can use all different sorts of sentiments: birthday, get well, thinking of you or miss you.  Today, I used missing you since it's for an OWH card.

I colored her with my ProMarkers and all of the papers are from my scrap box.  The sentiment is stamped on the washi tape I made.  It's so easy and I know that I'll be making loads more.

The items needed to make your own washi tape are:
*tissue paper: it must be non-crumpled
*a xyron sticker maker
*scissors or paper trimmer

Trim down the tissue paper to a size that your xyron can accommodate.  Send it through the xyron while holding the tissue rather tautly to prevent too many wrinkles.  After that, use your fingers, a craft stick or brayer to gently smooth out any bubbles or small wrinkles that do happen and be forewarned that there probably will be at least a few that show up....it's called handmade charm....just go with it!

Something I really love is that after it's on the xyron backer paper, you can trim it to any width you would like. I trimmed mine to a pretty standard width and then stamped on it.  That was done while it was still on the xyron backer paper.

Here's one final pic of my card:

You can find this card in the following challenges:

Operation Write Home -- Sketch #162
Loves Rubberstamps -- Polka dots
Through the Craftroom Door -- Anything goes
Artistic Impressions -- Challenge #62, Make it girly
Lexi's Creations -- Pink

As always, I appreciate your time here today.  Don't forget to check out my blog candy!  Just click on the photo at the top of this page and please be sure to read the requirements carefully...there aren't many but I do want to make sure that everyone has a fair chance!

12 comments:

  1. Gah think my comment just disappears! I shall start again...

    Oh wow, never even thought to DIY the washi tape! What a fantastic and limitless idea! Your right about the image, super cute and perfect for any occasion! I particularly like the pattern paper you've used with the hearts, compliments the image perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. Love all the layers and the layout. Thanks for sharing at Loves Rubberstamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, love the image and your coloring. The paper are fab!! Thank you for join us at Artistic Inspirations this week, hugs Kate (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card and love your home made washi tape! Thanks for sharing with us at Lexis, Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card hun, love your Washi tape too, great work hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love your Washi Tape Tutorial! Gorgeous card too! hugs Julie xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice card and cute image. Thank you for the washi tape tutorial.

    Katya Bess - JIC DT member
    http://justinspirationalchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.kattyxotica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. so fabulous and cute!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi (GD this week on lexi's creations challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting you from HIMCR. Wonderful idea. I have a Xyron sticker maker & have yet to use it so you have inspired me to give it a try.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your washi tape :) fun style! Thanks for playing with Loves Rubberstamps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet! I LOVE your handmade washi tape - it is brilliant and looks amazing! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Loves Rubbertstamps this week! We hope you play along with us again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely card,thanks for joining us at Artistic Inspirations challenge

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...